Friday, February 5, 2010

Foodie Friday-Snickerdoodles

I an linking up to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, where you will not believe how beautiful her post is today!!!
 Perhaps these have been here before, I don’t know, but these are a favorite in this house. Maybe, this will be a little reminder of this nice simple cookie. They are perfect for last minute baking, as I always have these ingredients in the house (once you have the Cream of Tartar) and they are easy to throw together.


         How many times have I heard,”Mom, I forgot, I need something for tomorrow (or now)!” and these are doable! I think that they are nice and old-fashioned, too.

Snickerdoodles    (set oven to 350 degrees)

½ cup butter or margarine

¾ cup sugar

1 ½ cup flour

1 egg

1 tsp. Cream of Tartar

½ tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. salt

{1 tbl. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon mixed-to coat}



In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.

Beat in 1 egg.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour adding in Cream of Tartar, baking soda and salt.

Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Chill a few minutes.

Roll onto 1 inch balls and roll them around in the cinnamon

and sugar mixture until completely coated.

Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet

(I still use the parchment or silpat)

Bake 8 to 12 minutes until lightly browned but still soft.

Remove from oven a let sit a minute then let cool on rack.



I get about 3 dozen out of this recipe. This time I had 40 cookies and I usually need 12 minutes for bake time.



Try one warm-yum! These stay soft inside yet crisp outside -but I don’t think they have ever lasted longer than one day on this house to know for sure how long! I would store them in an air-tight container or tin. Mine get left on the plate and disappear.



So, why not try these and enjoy them with a nice cup of tea or coffee or a cold glass of milk!



Anyway, it’s fun to say!

4 comments:

  1. These are one of my favorite cookies!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these often and they ship well when I mail them to Iraq. I see you are from LI and one Hr to Montauk and one Hr to the city makes me think you must live around Huntington vicinity. Did I guess right? Oh and I wear my Yankee hat all the time..gotta love our Yankess!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss......I just made these for the first time a few weeks ago.......I loooooooooove them!! hmmmmm, maybe I'll do them tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, looks like you've mastered the perfect classic cookie! I agree, these are just begging for a nice cup of Earl Grey tea.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment~ I'd love to hear what you have on your mind!